How to Make Your Very Own Felt Decoration…
We’ve had lots of fun in the Clipper office making felt decorations of all different shapes and sizes! Add a ribbon and hang them on your Christmas tree, include them in a homemade advent calendar, or decorate your desk!
- Choose your shape, and practice drawing it. If your design features more than one colour, plan out how the pieces of felt will work together. We’ve gone for a simple tea cup design, which can be cut from one piece of felt, but you can create anything from penguins to Christmas puds!
- Choose which colour felt you’d like to use, and then draw the outline onto the felt, making sure there’s enough felt to create two pieces of the same shape.
- Pin the two pieces of felt together, and carefully cut out the shape.
- Remove the pin and turn over the two pieces of felt, so that the marker pen is on the inside, and trim the edges if they don’t line up exactly.
- Decide on your decorations, and glue them on.
- Pin the two pieces back together, and start to sew them to each other. If you want to add in a ribbon so it can be hung from a Christmas tree, this is the time to do so.
- Before you’ve completely sewn it up, poke in your tea bag and as much other filling as you’d like. We’ve used Love Me Truly because it’s a chai blend which offers a lovely Christmassy scent, but you can choose your favourite or skip the tea altogether! For filling, you can use scraps of old fabric, or even some clean plastic bag strips – whatever you have to hand.
- Finish off sewing up, and your felt decoration is complete!